Thursday, September 10, 2009

Book Questions

My parents influenced my political attitudes. I don't really keep up with the news or politics so of what I do know, I would say they would be the influence for whatever political attitudes I have.

My family's party affiliation has had the greatest effect on my political attitudes because whenever I hear my parents talking about politics it is always what there opinion is and how they view it, so its something that you become use to.

I think the Federal Government should do more to save the environment. I dont know too much about healthcare or outsourcing jobs to other countries, I dont know enough to form an opinion. We talk about healthcare in class and its still something I have questions about.

7 comments:

  1. i tried to comment but i dont think it went threw the first time so ill do it agian.. i agree that the government should do more to save the environment! im not sure if i believe the whole golbal warming thing but more products should come out where they focus on how to reuse it another way and how it would better the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't Global Warming kind of an accepted scientific truth? Anyways the government should really focus on more sustainability particularly regarding how our food is grown. The EPA should crack down on wasteful enterprises and set up harsher standards. At least being "green" is trendy now, so that is helping with the people in a small way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether or not global warming is real, the fact remains that the earth is in serious trouble. I don't really think government should have a hand in the environment, though. In the end, it's the people who will suffer the concequences, not really the government, so we should be the ones taking responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Environment....positive no doubt.. trees of all kinds.. global warming is a myth.. the earth isnt in trouble... this planet has been going through warming and heating cycles since the beginning.. lets let it takes it course aight

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin- So you call hundreds of species going extinct every year "not in trouble"? Humans have caused a mass extinction before and we're doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, so I believe that everyone is most influenced by their families. We are shaped by our parents perspective of the world from the very age that are brains start to develope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to "take sides" here, but if you doubt global warming, let's stop the rhetoric and be objective by considering actual evidence!!! Kylie, while you are right about mass extictions, I'm not sure humans have ever been responsible for this before. I think we are living in unprecedented times! What is the moral reponsiblity of our government (or of the very creation and existence of government itself)? Show me the evidence Justin! You have very strong ideas, but I want you to think about WHY you hold such ideas? Where have they come from? How have the people with the ideas convinced you?

    NEW RULE FOR ANYONE IN MY PRESENCE: Do not say ANYTHING unless you can back up your argument! No more rhetoric! Don't repeat headlines unless you can explain them!

    Let's not debate anything based on unsupported claims. Explain yourself!

    For example... this health care debate is about values and the role of government. Can we talk about that instead of rumors and distortions with no truth behind them? Stop distracting the public by your phony rhetoric and let's explain ourselves. Not to sound partisan (BOTH parties are terrible at representing their broadest constituents despite their centrist moderate views), but people are opposed to health care reform because they value keeping what is their own over providing for others. The Democrats have a slightly different outlook here and this difference in values is what we should be talking about, not distorted details. How much of a priority is it for our goverment to make sure people inside its borders are safe from preventable death and illness? Is this such an expectation for the most powerful society perhaps in human history? (OK, so our power is fading a bit, but still.) We either care about making this a priority or we don't. Again, what is the moral responsibility of the government?

    But I digressed... the same is true regarding the environment. Why else do we have leaders, but to help us from making terrible mistakes? Their must be a moral responsiblity to our government to create a just society. If not, then we have betrayed the vision of our founders, even if they were slave-owning rich white males and other elites in a society already with a growing gap between rich and poor before it was even independent of Britain.

    Don't let anybody play you! If someone does not defend what they are saying, don't be fooled so easily. Peace!

    ReplyDelete